Andrew Ritchie QC represents male who suffered a road traffic accident
Andrew Ritchie QC represented a 34 year old man who suffered a road traffic accident at traffic lights. After 7 operations his right leg was amputated below the knee. The Defendants denied liability and the Claimant secured judgment in full at a trial in June 2017 before HHJ Robinson in the High Court.
The Quantum was settled at a JSM on 4.3.2019 for a lump sum of £3 million. Breakdown of damages:
- Pain, suffering and loss of amenity agreed £130,000 for the amputation and continuing severe phantom limb pain and chronic PTSD;
- Past loss and expenses: £240,000;
- Future loss and expenses: on the basis of a discount rate of +0.5%;
- Prosthetics: including 2 day to day use BIOM powered prosthetics and one water prosthetic for life on a revolving 5 year replacement cycle: £1 million;
- Loss of earnings as a “Black Cab” driver to age 68: £700,000;
- Accommodation: single level property, extra 23 sqm due to the disability, alterations for wheelchair use and adaptations: £500,000;
- Care: domestic assistance for life and commercial care post 65: £500,000;
- Case management in later life, treatment, transport, DIY & gardening, aids and equipment, medications, extra holiday costs and misc: £300,000.